The sauerkraut adds moisture and coconut-like texture.
2 cups unbleached flour, sifted
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup water
1 cup Sauerkraut, drained, coarsely chopped
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer set at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with water to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in sauerkraut.
- Spread batter in floured/greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Top with your favorite vanilla or chocolate frosting.